Our Guest: John Jantsch, Founder of Duct Tape Marketing
In this episode, we talk with THE John Jantsch about the concepts that led to the rise of his profitable brand “Duct Tape Marketing”. The brand, which grew from a book published in 2002 to a marketing system, has plenty to offer agency owners looking to help their clients (and their own agency) thrive.
John shares how he came up with Duct Tape Marketing system, the principles behind a successful agency, and the bigger future his business is chasing.
Dive in if you’re wanting to hear from an expert who turn his agency into a globally licensed brand.
If you’re looking to become a certified consultant or want to find a consultant you can click this link:
Also if you’re interested in John’s upcoming book then you can check it out here:
- Roundtable Discussion: Writing and reading as a marketer
- The origin story of Duct Tape Marketing
- Understanding THE BIGGEST frustrations of a small business owner
- Top obstacles that bring an agency down
- The ideal personality traits of a successful agency owner
- The big future Duct Tape Marketing is chasing
Key Podcast Moments
- [1:20] Roundtable Discussion: Have you always been a writer ?
- [2:50] Roundtable Discussion: Books that inspired you to write
- [8:48] The origin story of Duct Tape Marketing
- [13:32] When was your “big break”?
- [15:38] What are some big agencies obstacles that you had to overcome?
- [18:00] What are the personality traits of a successful agency owner?
- [19:44] How do you break out the “feast and famine” cycle?
- [21:52] What are some of the “silver bullets” that kill agencies?
- [24:04] What is the future of Duct Tape Marketing?
- [25:32] What make you stay hungry for success?
Magic Marketing Quotes from our Guest
- “Marketing is a system.”
- “I was pretty good at hustling work.”
- “I always tell people ‘ I think that it’s equal parts exhilaration and equal parts terrifying in doing the work for the person that is actually going to write the check:”
- “The real key is ‘Who can I add value to?” and “Who can I help the most?”
- “ You know I work with a lot of agency owners and they’re the worst marketers on the planet.”
- “It’s not an event. Marketing is a system in your own business.”
- The Self-Reliant Entrepreneur: 366 Daily Meditations to Feed Your Soul and Grow Your Business by John Jantsch
- Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing by Harry Beckwith
- Books by Peter Drucker
- Duct Tape Marketing website
- Duct Tape Marketing Consultant website
- Duct Tape Marketing Annual Summit
About Our Guest
John Jantsch is a small business and marketing expert, consultant, keynote speaker, and published author of 5 books, which have been translated into 14 languages.
Get in contact with John Jantsch
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Operation Agency Freedom podcast to stay up-to-date about the best ways to own your agency.