Our Guest: Chris Chasteen, Co-Founder of Content Cucumber
In this episode we talk about the power of scalable, organic content with Chris Chasteen. Chris shares how he started Content Cucumber and what he learned along the way. Chris talked about the content creation process from a musician’s perspective and an agency owner offering a unique content subscription service for clients.
He also talked about blog-flavored ice cream.(You read that right!)
- Roundtable Discussion: The process of creating music
- Managing a busy content creation agency on a subscription service business model
- Why your agency needs to niche down
- Retaining monthly clients
- Red flags that a client might not be a good fit for your subscription service
- Creating culture when your agency hires remote workers
- Viewing failure as a lesson vs a let-down
- Unique ways to build your brand for cheap at events
Key Podcast Moments
- [1:14] Chris’ experiences in music
- [3:33] What music do you like to play?
- [05:00] What is your process for creating music?
- [8:00] The origin story of Content Cucumber
- [14:37] How do you scale content on a regular basis?
- [16:16] As a content management agency, how much work do you get done on a monthly basis?
- [18:30] The structure of Content Cucumber’s writing team
- [18:54] Retaining monthly clients
- [20:58] How do you deal with inactive clients on retainer?
- [23:04] How do you differentiate yourself on the market?
- [24:15] What advice would you give your younger self?
- [27:28] Promoting your brand with blog-flavored ice cream
Magic Marketing Quotes from our Guest
- “You’re basically making mistakes until it [music] sounds good.”
- “What a lot of agencies do is try to do everything for everyone always…I think that strategy gets agencies in trouble.”
- “…if you’re outsourcing everything, you can’t build culture.”
- “I also find that…the second you worry too much about your competitors …you’re playing the wrong game.”
- Chris Chasteen on SoundCloud
- Design Pickle
- Traffic and Conversion Summit
About Our Guest
Chris Chasteen is a composer, pianist, and co-founder of Content Cucumber in addition to serving as the CEO of Silicone Depot and the acting CEO of Mechanic’s Helper.
Get in contact with Chris Chasteen
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Operation Agency Freedom podcast to stay up-to-date about the best ways to own your agency.